Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Declaration of Dependence

II Chronicles 6

I have virtually no sense of direction. I’m not sure what causes that or if that can ever be changed. I compensate for this weakness by making sure I have detailed maps, have purchased a GPS that works intermittently, and I often have the benefit of the shotgun to point me in the right direction. When I leave a store in the mall I often have to REALLY consider which way I was going before I entered the store, so as to not backtrack. I have hopped in the wrong parked cars thinking they were mine and I have been terribly lost in so many geographic locations. The rushing freeways in major metropolitan cities are the worst. Make a wrong turn, and let me tell you from experience, you may be lost a LONG TIME.

1. How is your sense of direction? Do you have a funny story about getting lost or about someone close to you that has this same malfunction that my brain exhibits?

The term ‘repentance’ means to turn – and specifically in the New Testament it means to turn from sin. When life is easy and rosy, the thought of turning from sin might seem hard to comprehend. We may even argue about what constitutes sin and what does that have to do with me, etc. etc. But when tragedy strikes, we know exactly what sin is because we tend to run straight to God and start asking forgiveness for all the things we know down deep in our hearts are wrong. Then we begin to plead with God to help us with our problems. Funny, how clearly we understand what sin is, when we are in trouble.

2. Consider points in our National history when we, as a nation, knew we were in trouble. How did the country respond? Consider the beginning of World War II and 911 for discussion starters.

3. Read II Chronicles 6. At this point in history, Solomon was a wise leader. He did the ultimate wise act as a person in authority and that is to humbly acknowledge God as the supreme ruler of the universe. What words did Solomon use to describe God’s authority?

4. In II Chronicles 6:22-31 what reasons does Solomon give for the bad things that happened to the nation of Israel? Solomon pleads with God to do something. For what does he plead?

5. Say II Chronicles 6:36-39 briefly, in your own words. What is the essence of what Solomon is saying?

6. Read II Chronicles 7:14-15. Who are God’s people?

7. What is humble about the act of praying?

8. Can you think of an example in the Bible of someone praying who was not being humble? What did Jesus think?

9. What does God promise for those who humble themselves, pray and repent from their wrongdoing?

10. How can this group pray for you today?