Sunday, March 28, 2010

WHO DO YOU SAY THAT I AM?

Matthew 16:13-21

1. Have you, or do you know of someone, who has been the victim of identity theft?

2. Jesus and His disciples walked to Caesarea Philippi which is in Northern Israel. In contrast to parts of Southren Israel, Philippi has green areas, is on the southwestern slope of Mount Hermon and is a beautiful area with waterfalls. Caesarea Philippi was also at that time a place with diversified religious beliefs. There was a center for Baal worship, Shrines to the Greek god Pan, and a temple that was built to honor Augustus Caesar. It was a very pagan place. What contrasts would Jesus’ disciples have seen in the people in this environment versus what they personally witnessed in the person of Christ?

3. Read Matthew 16:13-21. It is interesting that when Jesus asked His disciples “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” that they were quick to name some prophets who had already died, or in the case of Elijah, had been whisked away to heaven in a chariot. Clearly this was a population that struggled with faith yet held out hope for a resurrection. Consider the words of Job 19:25-27. Who is Job’s redeemer? Read Hebrews 11:17-19. What did Abraham believe?

4. Read II Kings 2:1-14. Read Malachi 4:5-6. What do you think some people saw in Christ that made them think He might be Elijah? Why do you think that at this time they did not realize Jesus Christ was the Messiah?

5. Read John 10:19-21. Do you think the people were confused about Christ?

6. Re-read Matthew 16:15-17. How did Peter know that Jesus was “the Christ, the Son of the living God? How do you know who Jesus Christ is?

7. In Matthew 1:21 we read that Jesus was to be given this name for “He will save His people from their sins.” The word “Christ” (in the Greek Christos, in Hebrew, Mashmiah) means “the anointed one.” Read Luke 4:18-19. How would you explain this “job description” for the Messiah?

8. Which of these descriptions of Christ resonate with you?
Jesus is my Savior - He has saved me from the penalty of my sin and shame and even from “myself.” Jesus has saved me from my own human nature. I can’t imagine what kind of person I would be without Him.”
Jesus is my Redeemer. He has redeemed my life and brought about good out of bad.
Jesus Christ is my King - the One I worship and seek to give honor.
Jesus is pure love. He is the object of my unrestrained affection.
Jesus is my compassionate counselor. He is the One to whom before I weep unresevedely and receive comfort and peace for my soul.
Jesus is my healer and the One who has healed my broken heart.
Jesus is my model. When in confusing circumstances when I contemplate what action to take or attitude to embrace, I look to Christ for my example.
Jesus is my liberator. In Him I experience true freedom.
Jesus is my encourager. Even in a season of life when nothing seems to go right, He loves me, gives me purpose, guides me and encourages me.
Jesus is my hope. Because of His grace and forgiveness to me, someday I get to be with Him in heaven.

9. Jesus Christ has many other names in the Bible. Some of them are Lord, Shiloh, Immanuel, Wonderful Counselor, The Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, The Branch and The Word of God.

Who do you say that Jesus is?

10. What name or description of Jesus makes you want to know Him better?

Barbour Publishing, Know Your Bible 26, 33
Gaebelein, Frank E. The Expositor’s Bible Commentary Volume 8 367-370
Hebrews 11:17-19 (New American Standard)
Job 19:25-27 (New American Standard)
John 10:19-21 (New American Standard)
II Kings 2:1-14 (New American Standard)
Luke 4:18-19 (New American Standard)
Malachi 4:5-6 (New American Standard)
Matthew 1:21; 16:13-21 (New American Standard)
Unger, Merrill F. Concise Bible Dictionary 103
Wiersbe, Warren The Bible Exposition Commentary 57-58